WW1 - Surnames starting with the letter W. 

Frank Simpson Wright

Ship/Rgn/Sqn No:02nd Bn
Name of Rgt or Ship:Grenadier Guards
How Died:Killed in Action
Country of burial:FranceGrave Photo:Yes
Cemetery or Memorial:Bucquoy Road Cemetery, Fisheux
Town Memorial:Cheadle Hulme
Extra Information:
Born during the December quarter 1884 in the Altrincham R.D. - ref: 8a/201,
the 3rd son of James & Elizabeth Wright (nee Simpson).  James & Elizabeth
were married at St. Mary's P.C., Rostherne.

1891 Census - High Legh, Cheshire.  Son - aged: 6 - born: High Legh.  Head
of household - James Wright - Married - aged: 38 - occ: Farmer - born: High
Legh.  Also - Elizabeth Wright - Wife - aged: 34 - born: Appleton,
Cheshire.  Plus 5 siblings, 3 servants and 1 lodger.

1901 Census - Swineyard Lane, High Leigh.  Son - aged: 16 - occ: Farmer's
son - born: High Legh.   Head of household - James Wright - Married - aged:
48 - occ: Farmer - born: High Legh. Also - Elizabeth Wright - Wife - aged:
44 - born: High Legh, Cheshire.  Plus 7 siblings, 3 servants and 1

1911 Census -  Collinwood Mount, Mottram St Andrew, Near Prestbury,
Cheshire.  Son - aged: 26 - occ: Meat Salesman Manager - born: High Legh.  
 Head of household - James Wright - Married - aged: 58 - occ: Market
Gardener - born: High Legh.   Also - Elizabeth Wright - Wife - aged: 54 -
born: High Legh, Cheshire.  Plus 4 siblings.

Married - Lizzie Bower at St. Peter's P.C., Prestbury on the 27th August
1913.  Registered during the September quarter 1913 in the Macclesfield
R.D. - ref: 8a/440.  Resided at 1 (or 6?) Ravenoak Road, Cheadle.  Lizzie
was the daughter of Ralph & Elizabeth Bower.  Ralph's occupation: Hay &
Straw Dealer

Frank attended Appleton Thorn and High Leigh Schools.  Also that he started
up as a Butcher, but then joined his brother as a Greengrocer & Poultry
Dealer at Cheadle.

Death reported in the 26/04/1918 edition of the Altrincham Guardian, which
states that his parents were "late of Swineyard Farm, High Leigh".  His
three brothers were then on active service.

Left a widow and daughter - Elizabeth Wright who was born on 10/04/1917.

M.I. - "Thy purpose Lord, we cannot see, but all is well that's done by

John Hartley has kindly given me permission to use his material that he has
so diligently researched for his "Stockport 1914-18" website - see:-
http://www.stockport1914-1918.co.uk   It is reproduced below verbatim.

"Frank enlisted at Stockport and his service number indicates this was
quite late in the War. On 20 March 1918, the Grenadiers had gone into
reserve at Arras. The next day, the Germans launched a massive and
successful attack on the Allied lines between Arras and St Quentin. Shells
began to fall on Arras and this confirmed the rumours of the attack that
Frank would have heard. By the 25th, the Battalion had been ordered back
into the front line to take up a defensive position between Ayette and
Boisleux-St-Marc (south east of Arras). Throughout the morning, other
Battalions withdrew through the new front line. About 7pm, the enemy was
spotted carefully advancing over a crest of a hill. The advance was being
covered by machine guns, which caused some casualties. The attack was
stopped by determined fire from the Grenadiers and there was no further
action during the night. 

The Battalion was now ordered to a new position astride the Arras-Albert
railway. This was a dangerous position as it was overlooked from the
outskirts of the village of Moyenneville. To their front were a number of
deserted huts on high ground which could give cover for enemy snipers and
machine gunners.

Soon after dawn on the 27th, the Germans appeared, but attacked in a
different way from normal. They were not moving forward in close formation
but running forward in twos and threes and then taking cover. This was
difficult to counter as the British artillery could not be brought to bear
to break up the attack. However, concerted rifle fire all along the line
took many casualties and the enemy was unable to make progress.

However, all through this time, the Germans were shelling the Guards'
trenches causing many casualties. The Regimental History records, however,
that the men "found time to bring down one of the enemy's aeroplanes which
had ventured too low". The Guards' Battalions on this front held their line
for several days until they were relieved. 

Sometime during the two days, Frank was severely wounded and will have been
evacuated from the trenches and taken to 43rd Casualty Clearing Station,
where he died. He is buried in the adjacent cemetery. His headstone is
inscribed "Thy purpose, Lord, we cannot see, but is well that's done by

Memorials found on:
Similar Names